Zugo Bike Review: Zugo Rhino Fat Tire Ebike
If you are in the market for an electric bike then you have probably heard of the Zugo Rhino. There’s been a lot of buzz about this bike and it certainly one to consider. But how do you know if it is the right bike for you?
We have reviewed the Zugo Rhino and weighed up the pros and cons to help you decide whether it is the right product for you to buy. Keep reading to find out more.
The Zugo Rhino is a Class 3 electric bike. It has a 750W motor and comes in a choice of two batteries – 15.6Ah or 21Ah, both 48V. The battery is removable which makes it much easier to charge and reduces the risk of your bike being stolen. It has a maximum load capacity of 300 to 350 pounds and is ideal for riders between 5 ft 1in and 6ft 5in. The handle bars are adjustable from 44 inches up to 49 inches, so you can make sure that you are comfortable on the bike.
You can cycle up to 60 miles on this bike before needing to recharge it, depending on the settings you use and the battery size. Some users have managed to get up to 80 miles when using pedal assist and a larger battery. Out of the box it can reach a top speed of 28 miles an hour, but with aftermarket modifications you can get that up to 28 miles per hour.
This bike benefits from class leading hydraulic brakes with 2-piston stopping force to keep you safe and reduce your stopping distance. The inverted suspension fork keeps the ride nice and smooth. The all terrain fat tires are perfect for road cycling, mountain biking and all sorts of surfaces, so the bike is very versatile.
The Zugo Rhino has an aluminum alloy frame that weighs 60 pounds (30kg). This isn’t the lightest electric bike you can get, but it is light enough for you to take on and off public transport. The pedals are also made from aluminum, with a large platform suitable for all foot sizes. The bike is both rain proof and dust proof.
Also Read: How Fast Do Electric Bikes Go?
There are some other great features of this bike like the cup holder built into the frame, perfect for your coffee when you cycle to work. The bike has a long bench seat that is super comfortable, with leather fenders. It has a Shimano 7 speed trigger shifter and a kickstand to keep it upright. The LCD display is really easy to use, and the headlight and tail lights are bright LEDS.
This bike comes in three colors – black, white, and iridescent purple. The black spokes on the wheels look very modern and sleek. It is not the most streamlined in appearance compared to some other electric bikes, but it has a cool, retro design. The Step Thru design is popular as it makes it really easy to mount and dismount the bike.
Overall, this is a fun electric bike with some excellent features. It has great options when it comes to speed and there are two different battery options. It is not the most lightweight and portable electric bike on the market but it has a good range.
Pros & Cons
Now that you know more about the specifications of the bike, let’s have a look at the pros and cons.
- Price – The price is moderate for a Class 3 electric bike, especially as this model is often on sale. (Also Read: Best Electric Bikes Under $1000)
- Range – The range is advertised up to 60 miles which is pretty good, but you can reach up to 80 miles with the right settings and battery size
- Terrain – the all-terrain fat tires make this bike suitable for roads, gravel, sand, grass and other surfaces.
- 7 Speeds – There are 7 levels of assist along with a throttle only option to choose from
- Smooth – The inverted fork suspension ensures that this bike offers riders a smooth and bump free journey
- Brakes – the 2-piston hydraulic brakes are powerful and will bring the bike to a quick stop
- Removable battery – The battery can be removed from the bike for charging, which helps to prevent theft and keep your bike safe
- Adjustable handlebars – The handlebars can be adjusted to suit people of different heights
- LCD Display – The LCD display is colorful, clear and easy to use, even on the move
- Long seat – the long bench-style seat allows you to carry a passenger, as long as you don’t exceed the maximum weight capacity.
- Step Thru design – The step thru design makes the bike easy to mount and dismount
- Accessories – there are lots of optional accessories that you can purchase separately if you want to.
- Customer Service – Zugo are known for providing excellent customer service to their clients
- Scratches – The paint on these bikes is vulnerable to scratching. A few uses and you will notice that the bike looks used very quickly.
- Tires – When the tires get flat, they can pop off the rims quite easily. You need to make sure that you keep the tires pumped.
- Maneuverability – Some people found that the large tires made the bike a little cumbersome on corners and tricky to maneuver.
- Rattling foot pegs – When you reach high speeds on the bike, the foot pegs rattle which creates an irritating noise.
- Kickstand bolt – The kickstand bolt loosens over time. You will need to tighten the bolt every 70 to 80 miles or so. It might be worth tightening it whenever you charge the battery.
- Charge port – The USB charge port is only accessible once the battery has been removed, which means that you have to remove the battery in order to charge the bike.
- Pedal clearance – the bike has minimal pedal clearance and some people have found it less comfortable than other electric bikes when it comes to long distance rides.
Take a look at these frequently asked questions to find out more about the Zugo Rhino electric bike.
How Do You Charge The Zugo Rhino E-Bike?
The Zugo Rhino has a removable battery. First, you need to unlock it using the battery key. Take the battery inside and remove the protective cover to expose the charge port. Plug the batter in to charge and turn on the power switch. Keep it charging until the battery bars are green. It will take anywhere between 3 hours and 7 hours to charge an empty battery. Never leave the battery on the charger for more than 24 hours. Once the battery is charged you can reinstall it on the bike.
What Is A Step Thru Bike?
Step thru bikes used to be considered women’s bikes because they were easier to mount and dismount, but now they are used by all genders. They have a lower crossbar, which means that you don’t have to swing your leg up and over to get onto the saddle. They are better for cycling in different types of outfits and als better for people with limited flexibility.
Are Step Thru Bikes Less Stable?
Step thru bikes are stable, but they have a lower center of gravity than other bikes so it can take a bit of getting used to. It puts you in a more upright riding position rather than leaning forward, which is better for your back. It also brings your knees up higher which works your core muscles.
Can You Use A Standard Bike Rack With The Zugo Rhino?
If you already have a bike rack for your car then you can still use it with your Zugo Rhino, but you may need to purchase a bike rack adaptor. This will ensure that your bike stays safe.
What Additional Accessories Are Available For The Zugo Rhino?
The Zugo Rhino E-bike has some great features, but there are also some additional accessories that you can purchase. Some of the most popular ones are the bike mirrors which make it much easier to cycle on roads and through traffic safely, the alarm and horn set, the phone holder which is ideal if you are using it for directions, and the super charger which increases the speed that your battery will charge.
The Zugo Rhino is not a low budget bike, but it is reasonably priced for a Class 3 electric bike that can reach 28 mph. It has a retro design and can fit an extra passenger which is really useful. It is light enough to take on public transport but not as light as some other bikes on the market.
You get a good range with this bike, especially if you choose the larger battery option and use pedal assist. There are 7 different speed options with a throttle only option as well. The tires allow you to ride on different types of terrain, though they can be a little cumbersome at times.
Overall this is a great bike with some excellent features. You can also count on good customer service from Zugo.